05 May 2010

Finally Good Meatloaf

Okay, I realize the thought of meatloaf doesn't excite many people.  Particularly those who grew up on bad meatloaf like the hubby and I did.  But one day, years ago, I set out to create an original meatloaf recipe.  My goal was to make a meatloaf that was so good no one would think to ask for ketchup.  This meatloaf has been a huge hit, both with my family and with company.  And it's SO easy!

Frugal Tip:  I have a salad shooter that I use to make fresh bread crumbs.  I usually save the end pieces of bread in a bag in the freezer and then grind those up when I need bread crumbs.  Sometimes it's old hotdog/ hamburger buns, homemade rolls, homemade bread, or even regular bread straight from the refrigerator if that's all I have.  I have never bought bread crumbs and don't really understand paying for something I already have.  




Finally Good Meatloaf
an original recipe by Rebecca Hoekstra



1.  Cook 6-8 slices of Bacon.  Cool and crumble.

2.  In the bacon grease, saute' together until slightly transparent:
  • 1 small onion, diced 
  • 2-3 cloves Garlic, minced

3.  Place Bacon, Onion and Garlic into a large mixing bowl and add:
  • 1 lb. Ground Chuck
  • 1 lb. Ground Mild Pork Sausage
  • 2 Cups of Bread Crumbs
  • 1 Tbs. Salt
  • 1 Tbs. Seasoning Salt, such as Lawry's
  • 1 Tbs. Chili Powder
  • 1/4 Cup of Ketchup
  • 1/8 Cup Prepared Mustard
  • 1/2 Cup Italian Dressing of your preference
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded

4.  Mix together, but do not overwork the ingredients.  Shape into two loaves and place in bread pans or on a baking sheet.

5.  Bake for one hour at 350 degrees, covered for the first half hour and uncovered for the final half hour.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm published again! Have you tried it yet?

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.