04 May 2010

Fancy Schmancy Tuna Melts


Do you have a tuna squeezer?  That's what I call it anyway.  This simple plastic device can drain any sort of can, but works especially well to get the water out of the tuna can without sending a third of the good stuff down the sink.  I found mine for about $4 at an outlet mall kitchen shop.  Think I've also seen them at Walmart.  Get one.  Your life will actually improve.  I know.



My friend Patti served me a tuna melt like these years ago.  My family actually lived in their lovely home several months, waiting for our house to sell, when my Hubby got a job as a youth pastor in their church.  The meals we savored in Patti's kitchen were seriously down-home - and spectacular!  Patti is from the South, so she taught me all kinds of cooking techniques, like how to cook green beans so that you think you died and went to heaven.  Her angel biscuits are legendary in their own right.  Pecan Pie.  Hers is worthy of its own sentence!  This gracious woman cooked every day and constantly shared meals with others.  



Here's my own terribly simple tuna salad recipe, then a few ideas for making melts.  Typically, an English Muffin is used as the base.  But I wanted to try those new thin, whole grain buns with the extra fiber.  I used the Earthgrains brand.  In the end, it was a little flimsier than and English Muffin, but it still worked and tasted great, so I'd choose that again.  When it comes to mayo, I only use Hellman's.  It costs a little more but it's worth it!  Any pickle relish will work.  I employ my homemade green tomato pickle relish, which is only slightly sweet and has onion and a bit of red bell pepper.  If you prefer, make your own tuna recipe.  Or doctor it up more with shredded carrots or diced onion.  Finally, I made the melts two different ways, first listing my friend Patti's version.  You may think of your own toppings.  Be creative!

So squeeze your tuna and invite a few girlfriends over for lunch!


Fancy Schmancy Tuna Melts


1.  Make tuna salad by mixing together in a medium-sized bowl:
  • 3 - 7 ounce cans of Tuna, water squeezed out
  • Up to 1/2 Cup Mayo
  • 1/2 Cup Pickle Relish

2.  Spread an English Muffin or Thin Bun with tuna salad, about the size of a golf ball.

3.  Cover with Sliced Cheese - Colby or Cheddar or... 

4.  Top with a Pineapple Ring.

5.  Broil several minutes until cheese is bubbly and edges are nicely browned.  Be watchful not to over-broil.


Option:  Try thinly sliced tomatoes for a topping instead of a pineapple.  Pair it with a sharp or specialty cheese.  I found some Havarti Horseradish and Chive (amazing!) and it was perfect with the tomato.

 Serves 4 to 6, depending on sides.  Side suggestions: potato salad, veggies & dip,  coleslaw, bean salad







5 comments:

  1. Tuna Melts aren't my thing, but these do look good. I really like the sound of your green beans. I agree with you about Hellman's. There is something to be said about quality products when you're cooking.

    Drop by my blog today, I have a surprise for you. www.nictomsmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks Yummo! Thanks....

    Here's mine. Don't forget to follow me :-)

    http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2010/05/put-on-your-sombreros-for-some-yummy.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmm this looks so good! I'm going to have to make these on a lazy weekend day! Thanks for the recipe and delicious pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun and easy recipe! I've never made a tuna melt, but this seems easy enough to at least give it a try!

    ~Aubree Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  5. We usually do the tomato. Never thought of using a pineapple ring!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.