30 April 2010

Tradition!

I am a Dutch girl.  Like you, I appreciate the traditional dishes of my family's heritage, although Dutch cooking is often characterized as bland.  With affection, I remember the special ways my mother and grandmothers would cook and serve meals.  For instance, my maternal grandmother fixed the most wonderful pork-sausage and apple stuffing every Thanksgiving.  Now it's standard holiday fare in my home.  My Hubby and Kiddo look forward to our stuffing each November.

My paternal grandmother often served comforting pot roasts.  Black olives and spiced apple rings could always be found on her relish trays.  That's where my core-level fondness for black olives sprang forth!  As an impressionable youngster, I thought they were an exotic food.

Hubby's grandmother lived to be 104 1/2.  Her diet consisted of coffee (in place of water!), red meat, potatoes, chicken soup and homemade pies, featuring flaky crusts made with real lard.  Dutch people are obviously hardy!  Coming to America on a boat before the Great Depression, Grandma made use of everything.  I loved her stories about pickling watermelon rinds.  

On Christmas morning, she would make Olie Bollen, which are Dutch-style donuts wherein a buttermilk-based dough is deep fried, then rolled in sugar.  The torch has now passed to me.  I love blessing my Hubby by keeping this meaningful tradition alive.

My own mother's cooking has certainly influenced me, as you'll see her recipes shared here from time to time.  I loved her porcupine meatballs, pizza casserole, 7-layer salad, skillet chops-n-rice, and chicken ala king.  Her chocolate cakes and Congo bars were legendary!  Now that she has passed into eternity, I acknowledge her memory by cooking her recipes.  I can also hear her voice in my head, instructing me how to grease a pan, or to rinse off the milk cap when it falls on the floor.  
Not sure those are favorable recollections!                                  
In the photo:  My Mom, about a year before she died, holding my Kiddo.

For the holidays, Mom always produced a rather straightforward Dutch cookie called "Jan Hagels." Their pastry-style crust carries a baked almond topping.  "Dutch people LOVE almond," she'd loudly proclaim, repeatedly, until we kids stopped gorging on fudge and sampled an obligatory Jan Hagel.  Sure, Dutch people love almond.  But they love chocolate more!

From my mother, I learned to make colorful meals: i.e....If you're grilling chicken, choose carrots or fresh green beans to accompany the neutrally colored poultry.  

And she passed on to me her gift of hospitality.  I cannot recall a company meal where the food didn't turn out perfectly, served hot and appealing on a beautifully set table.  Of course, she'd get pretty intense during the preparations!  I can relate to that.  For many years, I rode around on my broom, housecleaning and cooking in a procrastination-induced frenzy.  My Hubby learned to stick around his office - for his own protection - until our guests were due to arrive!  I've come a long way, greatly improving my attitude by instituting a strict guideline:  no cleaning and cooking on the day of entertaining.  If I don't get the house picked up and polished the day before guests arrive, oh well!  Now I can enjoy cooking and conversation -- and not quake with adrenaline and exhaustion due to  shot nerves.

Mom used to say they had sent her home from the hospital with the wrong baby.  My penchant for ethnic foods and flavorful seasonings was a mystery to her.  Salt was rarely added to her cooking; pepper, never!  Her spice rack was filled with the same dusty herbs and seasonings she had purchased when she got married.  This is the woman who took three-and-a-half decades to work up the courage to try a plain beef burrito at Taco Bell, without any sauce.  She was shocked to realize she like "Mexican food," if you could call it that!  So she added tacos to our supper rotation: plain, browned ground beef with a little onion - and no taco seasonings at all.  Hilarious!

Once a year or so, my dad makes this dreadful Dutch soup with barley, raisins and grape juice, called Krentje Brei.  It's disgusting!  There's no other way to put it.  Apparently, there is a limit to my ability to embrace family traditions.

I hope you are celebrating the special dishes from your own heritage, and passing them down in love to your offspring. 

What are your favorite traditions?


To enjoy more blogging caffeinated randomness, click here.
To visit Company Girls Coffee, click here. 

Keep scrolling down to find today's recipe for BBQ Chicken Wontons  (which are not at all Dutch!)

11 comments:

  1. I don't know if you remember, but you got Leah the same dress your Kiddo is wearing in the beautiful picture with your mom. Maggie wears it now and I think of you every time I put it on her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duane says his mom's idea of seasoning food was to put the salt shaker on the table. I think his food memories are less fond and whenever one of the kids will complain about food he launches into a whole diatribe about what he had to endure growing up. Grandma's stuffing is well loved here and made often - not just on holidays and Congo bars are made about once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many good memories of the smell of fresh bread baking at my grandmas...and oh, the spread she would have! My mom was a great cook, but I didn't really learn from her, just tauhgt myself! My favorite traditions of food are the baking, that is probably what I will pass on to my children. The same chocolate chip cookies and Mississippi Mud Cake my momma made and her momma before that! Yum, now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting entry and I so admire your interest. I'm all about traditions and while most of mine do not involve food, I do make a delicious fudge during the Christmas holidays and share with family and friends. My daughter is now doing this with her family and friends and loves to recall her memories of helping me make it when she was growing up. Thanks for sharing this enjoyable entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colorful meals... now that's an idea! :) LOL I try to incorporate color, but I tend to stick with mostly "neutrals" unless we have a colorful fruit/veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Dutch on my father's side...and can totally relate to the frugalness...it's so interesting. Have you ever had SLA..it's a SOUR potato soup dish. Very potent...and dirties every dish in the kitchen. Have a happy CR Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love traditions. I love our potluck family times where we eat a random assortment every one's favorite dishes. And those recipes I make because my Granny and my Memaw made them.

    Your family traditions are wonderful!

    Happy CR Friday...and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my hubby's Dutch background. It's exotic to me. What with the Olliebollen and the Stampot. Who would have through that mashed potatoes and carrots could taste so good together. LOL My favourite Dutch food is the pannekoken. Those super thin large pancakes are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growing up my Welsh grandmother always served Roast Beef with Yorkshire pudding on Sundays...she always served the Yorkshire pudding by itself first, with gravy then you serve the roast beef and veggies afterwards...to this day my kids will say...'how come you serve the Yorkshire by itself and I reply because that's the way you're suppose to do it! Traditions passed on...love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Passing down traditions like these... it's just SO special!! And what special gift your mom gave you when she passed on her gift of hospitality. I love learning traditions and recipes from my mom and grandma. They are teaching good ol' Polish traditions! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom's family is English - now THAT's some bland food! My friend Michelle (who commented above) brought me some Olie Bollen on New Year's - I loved it!

    It is so interesting how often food plays a part in our traditions - my grandmother always makes afternoon tea, my grandfather and I used to play cards and eat salt and vinegar chips, and I love to decorate cookies with my kids at Christmas. But no bland English food, thankyouverymuch! :P

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.