19 April 2010

Pining for Pot Pie


Being a dyed-in-the-wool homebody, I look forward to Saturdays nights.  After a day of household projects, or interesting community events, it's always great to hang around our home in the evening for a family dinner, maybe a board game, and a good flick.

I try to make a home-cooked meal on Saturday nights.  Sometimes Friday is a break and we get pizza.  Our Sundays are pretty busy, and the meals that day are somewhat uncertain - leftovers, sandwiches, that sort of thing.  But Saturday night is a great family celebration.  After all the coming and going during the week, we almost always get to enjoy that meal together.

This weekend I served Pining for Pot Pie.  I saved time by using puff pastry for the crust.  It turned out just as it should: flaky, buttery, golden brown.  Nothing to be ashamed of, although a purist might insist on making the crust from scratch.  (You go right ahead. Don't let me stop you!)  My filling, which only took a few minutes to cook, was homemade and truly wonderful.  And I love any recipe that causes my family to eat their vegetables...

In case you're wondering, the crazy photos are of my Kiddo doing a little chicken pot pie happy dance!

This recipe makes two pie-pans full, so it's perfect for a big family.  Or if you're a small group of Three Musketeers, like my family, then you can freeze the second one for another night.  I wrapped mine with plastic wrap, and did not add the puff pastry crust yet.  When I thaw it some other day, I'll add the crust just before baking.



Pining for Pot Pie
an original rendition by Kelly Jo Vanderstelt


1.  Melt 2 Tbs. Butter with 1 Tbs. Olive Oil in a large skillet.

2.  Saute' 1 large onion, diced, until transparent.

3.  Stir in 1 heaping Tbs. Flour  (white is fine; I like to use gluten-free garbanzo bean flour for its richness.)

4.  Slowly add 1 Cup of Chicken Broth, cooking over medium heat and stirring until thickened

5.  Stir in:
  • 1/2 Cup Half & Half
  • 2 Cups of Chicken, already cooked and chopped or shredded 
  • A 1-pound bag of frozen mixed vegetables  (peas, carrots, corn, beans)
  • 1 Cup of Cheese, shredded  (cheddar or colby-jack)
6.  Season:
  • 1 Tsp. whole dried Thyme, crushed in your palm
  • 1 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 Tsp. Dry Mustard
  • 1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
  • Freshly ground Pepper to taste (about 1/4 Tsp.)
7.  Warm through until bubbly, then divide into two 9" pie pans.

8.  Cover each pan with a sheet of puff pastry dough (thawed according to package directions).  If desired, cut off the extra corner dough and make a pretty design in the center with it.

9.  Brush the crust with a beaten egg and sprinkle with a little kosher salt.

10.  Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 400 degrees, until bubbly and crust is golden brown.  Oven times may vary; stay alert to the condition of your pies!  Let stand a few minutes before serving, so that it "sets up" and is easier to scoop and plate.


One pie ought to serve about 4 hungry family members.


Tip:  Don't waste the beaten egg after it's done its job.  Take a minute to fry it up and feed it to your dog!  


This post is linked to:


2 comments:

  1. Kelly, I had to stay away from your blog for a few weeks. Since I had a colonoscopy and a tooth extracted, my diet was more of the liquid type. But I'm all better now and ready to eat real food again. I see several things I want to try!

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds great and I love how you dont waste by even using the egg for the dog

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.