29 April 2010

Last Thyme Chicken Soup





It was not without sadness in my heart that I made my last pot of soup for the season.  My Hubby requests me to take a break from hot liquid meals during warm weather, so I adjust my menu to feature a new kind of salad each week.  Next Thursday, watch for the first installment of my upcoming series: Spinach Salad 9 Ways, among other salads I plan to share with you.  Seriously inspiring!

Soup making is one of my pure joys, a weekly ritual I embrace.  I love the comforting reality of soup simmering on the stove, filling my kitchen with nourishing aromas, offering its goodness to warm body and soul.  

I think about the myriad of soups I have yet to share with you on this blog:  Sweet Potato Stew, Chicken & Cheese Tortellini, Double Beef Chili, White Chili, Sausage Lentil, Cheese & Corn Chowder, Beef Barley, Sweet Potato-Tomato, Kidney-Love Chicken Soup, Cheesy Potato, Broccoli Cheese...well, those are the soup recipes I can think of off the top of my head.  I'm sure I have others, too.  Fall is gonna be fun! 

 
This final soup is entirely delicious.  Its light broth hosts colorful, nutritious vegetables.  Last Thyme Chicken Soup is perfect for spring!  It has a delicate, elegant flavor, yet is brimming with personality.  

So enjoy this special recipe.  I've savored my last bowlful and now I'm going to go lament...



 Last Thyme Chicken Soup
an original recipe by Kelly Jo Vanderstelt


1.  Saute' several minutes until cooked:
  • 1/2 Tbs. Olive Oil
  • Juice of 1/2 Lemon
  • 1 large or 2 small uncooked Chicken Breast(s), cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/4 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/4 Tsp. Citrus Pepper
2.  Bring to a boil in a large soup pot:
  • 4 Cups Chicken Broth
  • 4 Carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 Parsnip, peeled and chopped
  • 1 Cup Sugar Snap Peas - entire pod - roughly chopped
  • 1 Bunch of Green Onions, chopped - the white part and most of the dark green
  • 1/4 Cup Israeli Couscous -- OMIT to make gluten-free
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • Zest of 1 Lemon
  • Juice of 1/2 Lemon
  • 1 Tsp. whole dried Thyme, crumbled in your palm
  • 1/4 Tsp. Salt

3.  Put cooked Chicken and its juices into the soup pot.  Simmer for about 10 minutes.

Serves 4 to 6


Note:  If you can't find Israeli Couscous, sub Orzo Pasta instead, and adjust simmering time as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.