07 May 2010

Much Ado about Leftovers

Leftovers aren't always appealing.  You either love them or hate them.

Personally, I can't handle leftover Chinese food.  Yet I know people who'll eat it for breakfast.  To me, the sauces seem a little too congealed and the salty appeal doesn't strike a second time.

Then there are foods that taste even better the next day, like cold pizza and, of course, my Tangy Beef BBQ.

My family is stuck, for now, at the size of three eaters.  When I cook there is usually another meal's worth left.  Sometimes we eat the leftovers for lunches on subsequent days.  Other times I throw it in the freezer to serve some other night.  The very best use of extra food?  Divvying it up with others!

Sharing food can boost your confidence.  It really jazzes me when good friends give me their stamp of approval!  I love bringing a tasting portion of a new dish over to a girlfriend for her to critique.  Recently, my Hubby invited a couple of buddies over for breakfast to sample the Crème Brûlée French Toast I was perfecting for our church's mother-daughter banquet.  (Watch for the recipe tomorrow morning...it's to die for!)  If they hadn't joined us, we three would have been stuck with a huge pan of sinfully sweet leftovers.  (And I would have gained three more pounds!)  Besides, morning coffee is always better with friends around your table.

Food is also useful for bartering.  I often exchange quarts of soup for dog-sitting with a dear friend.  I've paid for my deck to be power-washed with frozen fish and venison.  Through the years, feeding contractor friends has helped us accomplish home projects at more reasonable rates...since they knew supper would be included.  And I've thanked many a friend for a kindness given by inviting them to our dinner table.

Food's main job is to feed our bodies, to nourish us and to bolster our good health. But when we spread it around, food also has the power 


to gather people in community, 
to comfort the grieving, 
to grow friendships, 
to console the weary, 
to calm the overwhelmed, and 
to create an atmosphere of celebration,
by turns. 

 There's a heartwarming pleasure to bringing a meal to someone in need.  I enjoy dividing a big recipe into two portions and bringing half to another family.  Folks who are experiencing illness or hard times, recovering from surgery, or adjusting to life with a newborn greatly appreciate the delicious support. Try it sometime. Don't be shy!

A favorite Bible story of mine is about the widow of Zarephath.  She lived by faith and shared bread with the prophet Elijah when all she had left was a handful of flour and a little oil.  She wasn't worried about leftovers; she was terrified of running out of food -- and starving!  Still, every day she first made a cake for Elijah, then one for herself and her son.  God, in His meticulous providence, poured down grace in an unusual way:  the widow's flour jar was - miraculously! - never empty, and her oil jug did not run dry.  I Kings 17:7-24.

God intends us to show hospitality to those around us, whether we are knee-deep in provisions or feeling impoverished.  Ultimately, He is the supplier of all good things.  When we exercise generosity, He continues to provide for our needs. 


Leftovers?  Not really.  I have a plan for that!



To enjoy more blogging caffeinated randomness, visit Under Grace and Over Coffee.
 To visit Company Girls Coffee, visit Home Sanctuary.

** And by the way, my good friend Julie Sopha had a hilarious blog entry this week.




12 comments:

  1. Well, I knew I liked food before, but now, I'm loving it even more! Personally, bartering with it is now on my must do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most friends at our church are getting used to me brining various new bread creations to church and other gatherings, but I never thought of using them for bartering, hmmmm, my one friend who loves the bred has chickens at home, hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leftover Chinese food for breakfast just doesn't sound appetising! Pizza on the other hand... :)

    I hope you have a blessed & caffeine-filled weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way Calvin and Duane eat, we never have leftovers! But I rarely cook just one meal. Usually one week I will cook a double meal of dinner and freeze one. The next week I can take a break from cooking and eat my frozen meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea! I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You almost make me like leftovers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We keep leftovers and almost ALWAYS end up throwing them out...BUT, today you have allowed me to see them differently! Thank you for that!

    Glad to discover your blog via CR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post!!! thanks so much for sharing! Happy caffeinated friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so concur about chinese as leftovers....of course I don't often eat leftovers for breakfast...my favorite time to eat them is at lunch :)

    Bartering with food? LOVE that idea.

    And that french toast sound YUM!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just started listing leftovers on my fridge (when they enter and date they should exit)...and now my husband is brave enough to eat them. He said he was always afraid cuz he couldn't remember how old they were! HAHA! Doesn't help that he knows I've given myself food poisoning cuz I didn't want to throw stuff away (before we were married). Smiles to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Bobbi's idea about a list of leftovers, especially the "exit" date. I'm notorious for leaving things too long, then screaming, "Stop!! Don't eat that!" as my Hubby is about do get himself some food poisoning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! (Personally, I like Papa Johns pizza better the next day!!) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on "leftovers" - reminds me of the manna in the OT... they were only supposed to gather enough for THAT DAY. Why do we think we're any different - God provides what we need on the day we need it! :)

    Just making the Coffee Girl Rounds this AM - Have a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.