25 March 2010

Potato Zuppa di Vincentina


Only five more "Soup Days" to go...

Once the month of May arrives, I'll have to cease my weekly ritual of simmering up comforting pots of soup.  This is one way I defer to my husband, who cannot tolerate hot food in hot weather.  Never mind that northland summers start out chilly. Summer here is a state of mind!  Sometimes you have to don a sweatshirt until the third week of June.  I have heard rumors of snow on the 4th of July...which I'm hoping aren't true.

Meanwhile, we can still warm up with a weekly bowl of soup.  I first met Italian Potato Soup at Louise's On the Waterfront, a wonderful lunch shop in Two Harbors, Minnesota.  Hubby and I were spending the day exploring the north shore, and that is a favorite stop of ours.  On the Waterfront features homemade soups, inventive sandwiches, and perfectly baked goodies. If you sit at just the right table and twist your head just so to look out the window at a precise angle, you can catch a tiny glimpse of Lake Superior.

Anyway, I savored every sip of the Italian Potato's creamy broth and determined in my heart to figure out how to make it.  Honestly, I think I hit a home run my first time up to bat!  As soon he tasted one spoonful, my Hubby let out a slow "Mmmmm."  I muttered my surprise at his positive response (soup hater that he professes to be), and he stated, "It is soup, but I do like the flavor."  Apparently, the savory herbs, spicy sausage, and soft potatoes won him over.  My Kiddo gave me a high five for making soup that Dad likes!

A bit later, our friend, Greg, stopped over. Of course, I foisted a little bowl of soup on him, too.  Let's just say he seemed entirely dazzled.  Greg said to my Kiddo, "Quick, make a distraction so I can lick out the bowl!"  




Potato Zuppa di Vincentina
an original recipe by Kelly Jo Vanderstelt

1.  Place in a large soup pot:
  • 1 lb. Mild Italian Sausage, ground  
  • 3 Stalks of Celery, thinly sliced in half-moons

2.  Cook over medium heat, chopping up the meat and turning it until the sausage is browned.

3.  Drain the meat/celery mixture of its grease and stir in:
  • 1 Tbs. Olive Oil
  • 1 Tbs. Butter
  • 1 Tbs. Flour

4.  Add to the pot:
  • 5 Cups of Water
  • 2 to 3 Cups Redskin Potatoes, halved and sliced about an eighth-inch thick  (I used eight small ones)
  • 6 Green Onions, thinly sliced most of the way up
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. Better than Bouillon Chicken
  • 1 Tsp. Fennel Seed
  • 1 Tsp. Italian Seasonings
  • 1/2 Tsp Basil
  • 1/2 Tsp. Salt
  • Dash of Pepper

5.  Bring to a gentle boil, cooking for about 8 minutes until the potatoes are soft (but not starchy and overcooked).  After the first 5 minutes, toss in 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced.

6.  Remove from heat and stir in 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream.

Serves 6.

To make gluten-free, use gluten-free sausage or omit if necessary.








 




2 comments:

  1. I made this tonight and thought it was delicious! Mine was a little on the spicy side as I only had medium spiced sausage on hand. I tried rinsing some of the spice out before I browned it...yeah, I'm not sure just how effective that was :) I also used fat free half and half instead of heavy whipping cream, and I still think it was plenty rich. I even bought Better than Bouillon for it!

    On a side note, could you give some tips on how to take pictures of food? Most of my attempts have been pathetic at best! I'd like to submit a recipe for Pot Luck Wednesdays and would like to send a non-pathetic picture! Thanks, KJV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Becky! I'm glad your soup turned out good. The fat free is a good option to make it healthier! It's pretty decadent with whipping cream.

    Thanks for the compliment of admiring my pictures. I'd like to say I'm taking them with my Nikon, but I don't have one. Just using my trusty, cheapo $100 Kodak Easy Share. I think the setting is making a difference, though. I'm using the close up setting (with a little flower for an icon on the control thingy), which also eliminates flash. And I'm getting pretty good at gauging natural light and holding really still! Maybe your flash is the problem, washing out your scene?

    Best wishes on that. Just send whatever photos turn out! I'd love to peruse what you're cooking!

    Blessings,

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.