26 April 2010

Tators, 'Rots and Ribs


There are (rare) occasions where I'm not feeling epicurean - when a few basic ingredients will fit the bill.  Seriously, it's not all pesto and truffles and saffron here at my house...I can't even afford truffles or saffron!  Besides, my Hubby is a meat and potatoes kind of guy.  He doesn't care if there is Thyme or Curry involved; just so it's hot and filling.

I wondered what would happen if I threw a few essentials into my crock pot, without any of my usual additions.  What happened was marvelous!  If you have become a regular reader, you've probably picked up on my constant use of olive oil, onions, and garlic.  Sometimes I forget it's actually possible to create incredible meals without any of my "fav three".

This recipe will especially interest you non-gourmet types.  Try out this winning combination of five simple ingredients.  It's nothing earth-shattering.  It'll remind you of pot roast, in fact, only with pork country ribs.  The fatty ribs help to flavor the meal.  We enjoyed this change from the usual barbecue sauce, and the tender meat fell right off its bones.

Your husband, if you have one, will thank you.  If you don't have one, perhaps the comforting aroma of succulent ribs, wafting heavily in the air, will help you snag one.


Taters, 'Rots and Ribs
an original concoction by Kelly Jo Vanderstelt


1.  Layer into your crock pot:
  • Several new potatoes, skin on, commensurate with the size of your crowd
  • 1 bag of Baby Carrots
  • 1/2 Tsp. Lawry's Seasoning Salt
  • 1/2 Cup of Water
  • A package of Pork Country Ribs, also commensurate with your crowd
  • Another 1/2 Tsp. Lawry's Seasoning Salt

2.  Cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.




1 comment:

  1. I make something similar at least once a month. It also tastes delicious if you use a romptoff.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.