23 April 2010

Ode to Fiestaware

  Six years ago I set my sights on acquiring new dishes.  My dream: a colorful collection of Fiestaware.  I wiled away the hours browsing through my Betty Crocker catalog and imagining various color combinations.  I'd hold up the pictures to my curtains and ponder place settings in the dining room.  I changed my mind dozens of times over particular choices before settling on four stunning colors.  Then, with just a bit of trembling, I approached my Hubby for his consent.

"What's wrong with the dishes we already have?" he politely inquired.

"Well, nothing, really..." I stammered, completely thrown by this unexpected logical question.  "Wouldn't it be nice, though, to have a change?"

This was not a powerful argument, considering Hubby is a color-blind man.  Totally color-blind. He sees only black and white and shades of gray - much like a dog.  When I paint a room, I'm sure he wonders what the fuss is all about.  "Is it darker in here?" he'll ask me.  Or, "What's different?  It looks the same as before."

So the prospect of taking his meals on a perpetual rainbow spectrum of plates was no big thrill.  

He continued down the rational path:  "When we got married, you said you loved our grapevine dishes so much that you could never, ever get tired of them."  

I said that?  I can't believe he remembers me saying that.  Admittedly, it did sound like something I would say (in a dramatic, excitable, awestruck tone of voice - of course) at the innocent age of nineteen-years-old.  Back in those days I thought it was a thrill to dust my house, too.  Shows you how silly and idealistic I was.  
 
Clearly, I am capable now of broader perspective, and those Pfaltzgraff Grapevine dishes (my service for 12) are so 90s and so not me.  (Also not a good argument for new plates).

But Hubby loves me and he knows that sometimes shallow things make me happy, so he patiently asked, "Well, how much would it cost to get these new plates?"

Ah, the big question.  There really was no way to package the answer well, so I just blurted it out.  His eyes got big.  His eyebrows darted north.  There wasn't much to say after that. 

I sighed in concession and gave up my designs on new dishes.  A few days later, I happened upon a decent set of four dinner plates, salad plates and bowls (NOT Fiestaware) in a dashing cobalt blue color at my local Goodwill.  For a measly eight bucks, I gained a fresh look in dining accessories.  I dismissed the Fiestaware dream and chose contentment.

Two years ago we were wandering an antique mall in Bolivar, Missouri.  Hubby and I share a deep love of antiquing.  There's just something about being around a lot of old stuff!  It gives me perspective on life and an appreciation for our modern conveniences, too!  We both enjoy scouting around for a few specific things we collect:  Hubby loves Civil War history (books and paraphernalia) and vintage baseball stuff;  I hunt for Texas-ware bowls, and more recently, Fire King jadeite.  That day, I ran across a large display of Fiestaware seconds.  I heard glorious music swell in the background, and my heart leaped into my throat.  We were in dire need of a water pitcher, so Hubby bought me a large Fiestaware disk pitcher in a gorgeous violet color.  (It actually coordinates with my grapevine dishes quite well.)


He didn't realize he was playing with fire.  Those banked embers had not fully cooled...

Fast forward to this last Christmas, 2009.  By now we've been married nearly eighteen years and have come a long way in regards to budget control, savings, and generally getting established.  I'm also a more dedicated and accomplished cook.  Anyway, my dear father sent us a generous Christmas check...and all I could think about was Fiestaware.  Ever since I'd been enjoying that new purple pitcher, a Fiestaware urgency had been growing.

Usually we use dad's Christmas gift for an important need, like a new toilet or to re-roof something.  But this time I put together a fresh proposal (in my mind, not on paper or anything) for us to spend a portion of the money on Fiestaware.  I delivered my plan with excellent timing and panache to a happy Hubby (probably right after a good meal) and held my breath.  To my great surprise and delight, he smiled and said, "Sure.  Go ahead.  Have fun picking out your new dishes!"

Hip-hip-hooray!  I began watching for sales with a vengeance...cruising the internet...contemplating colors all over again.  I picked up a few place settings, played with them for a while, and exchanged a few colors along the way. In the end, I chose Evergreen, Turquoise and Tangerine.




Recently, I had a little spending money stashed again, which coincided beautifully (ironically?) with a rock-bottom Fiestaware sale at Younkers.  Now I'm certain my "little" collection is complete, rounded out beautifully in a perfect panorama of pigments.  I added two settings of Peacock and ordered a few open-stock plates of the now-discontinued violet color, Heather, from an internet dealer.







In case you're wondering, I realize I can't take this stuff with me into eternity.  And if I end up in a nursing home one day, I just hope I'm too forgetful to realize my gorgeous dishes were likely garage-saled away to a new owner.

For now, I'm fully enjoying the Fiestaware.  We eat every day.  And we entertain often - sometimes large groups.  Now I can serve 22 people in gracious ease.   

Besides, you know what I've discovered?  Food really does taste better on Fiestaware!

 "It is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him - for this is his lot.  Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work - this is the gift of God."    Ecclesiastes 5:18-19

To enjoy more blogging caffeinated randomness, click here.
 To visit Company Girls Coffee, click here.

12 comments:

  1. Funny...and random! My Mom got Fiestaware a few years ago...in a random rainbow splash. I first I didn't think I'd like it but it is pretty..and she has such a good time with it. I love the Peacock shade...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, while I can't say I understand the dinnerware obsession (is that a dead give away I'm single?) - I was highly entertained =)
    You are one funny woman!

    Enjoy your Fiestaware!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys need to come to the antique malls in Crown Point sometime. So much fun!

    Your brother tried to talk me into the grapevine Pfaltzgraff when we were registering because he thought it was amazing, probably because you had it. I said NO WAY (sorry) and we registered for something else.

    It took a few years for me to discover my favorite, but I found service for 12 of Pfaltzgraff Yorktowne at a garage sale once and was so excited. That's now what I look for at garage sales and antique shops. And the hubby came home yesterday with a bread plate in Yorktowne he found for $8.00.

    We actually have three sets of dishes. The Yorktowne is for everyday; the Pfaltzgraff that we registered for, which is a glossy white, is for company; and the blue and white Haviland china that we're saving for when the queen visits. Thank goodness for lots of cabinet space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Good for you - you waited so long and you SO deserve the Fiestaware! You know, it truly is the little things that can bring us so much joy and you will always remember the lessons (patience, persistence, etc.) associated with those lovely dishes. We need new dishes, too...You might have created a monster!

    Happy CR!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's probably not just that he's colour blind, but Dutch as well. I so get your need for dishes. I found a set a Ikea I liked and just bought the bowls that went with the set. I used the excuse that they went with the pattern that he picked out (I compromised from the Denby I wanted) when we got married. Last year I worked on my mom to purchase the rest of the set and now have a coordinated set of 12. I agree...the food does taste better. LOL

    PS I totally agree WE MUST BE FRIENDS!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it. If Fiestaware is your thing, then have Fiestaware. I love to see how different women choose to love on their homes. Good for you, hubby!

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the "dish queen" and always have been, so I do understand completely! My daughter and daughter in law both have Fiesta Ware and they both love it. So enjoyed your entry and the pictures were so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those dishes! You know, there's something to be said for having a few things around that you love to use. My husband doesn't understand this, either. He'd be happy eating off paper plates, and while that does alleviate a lot of pressure for me to not have a home that looks like something out of a magazine, I still like my home to be pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're lovely! I can't believe your hubby remembered what you said about the old dishes. =p How funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the style of the coffee mugs. I really like M.A. Hadley stoneware. My Mom has given me several bowls, plates, and coffee mugs. I'd love to add to my collection one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! I have the plum fiestaware like the disk pitcher you have pictured. I don't have the pitcher yet though. I love the grapevine dishes so I'm glad to find out the fiestaware matches so well. (if you ever decide to get rid of your grapevine...LOL) I'm trying to build up the plum right now, but I keep looking at other colors and thinking. I would love to add the evergreen and maybe the bright blue (peacock, I think). The fact of the matter is that I love dishes and could have an entire large butler's pantry full, if I had such a thing and the money to blow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love dishes too! It's just fun to set a pretty table. Love your dishes! That was a great story too!
    Hope you're having a great weekend!
    LydiaCate

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.