29 March 2012

Tomato-Fennel Bisque

I'm back.

It's been a nice break.  More like a long-term hiatus -- almost two years!  During that time I've had something of an epiphany regarding health and nutrition.  Making changes has helped me regain my energy and enthusiasm for life.  I feel better and look worlds better, having lost quite a few numbers on my BMI.  Comfort food is still where my heart is, but now I'm serving up heart-healthier comfort food...in most cases, anyway.

Plenty of friends have encouraged me to return to blogging.  My hope is that all three or four of my cherished readers will cut me some slack and keep an open mind, since my new recipes will feature more vegetables and fruits and whole grains.  And - I'm sure - a few nutritional insights thrown in for good measure.  This way I can keep my renegade foody opinions from offending the Facebook gang.

Today's recipe is a warm, velvety soup that puts commercial tomato soups to shame.  Who wants all that corn syrup and chemicals in their broth, anyway?  If you haven't used fennel yet, welcome.  It's better over here.  While you're chopping away, take a nibble of your fennel stalk.  Talk about black jelly beans!

This soup would be perfect paired with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich...especially if it's a gooey grilled cheese sandwich made with Vermont White Cheddar, pumpkin seed pesto and thinly sliced tart apples.  So without further ado: Tomato-Fennel Bisque.


Tomato-Fennel Bisque
an original recipe by Kelly Jo Vanderstelt


In a medium soup pot, saute' in 2 Tbs. Olive Oil until tender, about 5-6 minutes:

  • 2 Stalks of Celery, thinly sliced in half-moons
  • 1 Fennel Bulb and a couple of Stalks, chopped
  • 1/2 an Onion, diced
Add to the soup pot:
  • 2 Cups Chicken Broth (or 2 Cups Water + 1 Tbs. Better than Bouillion Chicken or Vegetable)
  • 28 oz. can of Diced Tomatoes (do not drain)
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
  • 3 Tbs. Brown Sugar  
  • 1 1/2 Tsp. Paprika
  • 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
  • Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Let cool slightly, then transfer two cups at a time to a blender and puree until smooth.  Use caution; hot liquids expand and build pressure in the blender.  Pour smooth mixture into another pot as you go.  (I know, what a hassle, an extra pot to wash!)

Heat soup through again, then stir in 1 Cup Half & Half.  This makes for a creamier, decadent soup.  Skip it if you didn't take a brisk walk today, or want a more vegan experience.

If desired, garnish with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream and a sprig of fresh fennel.

Makes about 6 modest portions.


2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! This not only sounds wonderful but is gluten free! Thanks for posting. I can't wait to see what ideas you have ahead:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, bb! Was reflecting on that myself. Since I have several friends with gluten issues, I think I'll asterisk the recipes in the index that are - or can easily be prepared - gluten free. I have a few done already, and will finish this little change in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.