08 April 2010

Stuffed Pepper Soup


Whoever first thought of filling green peppers with beef, onion, rice and tomatoes is a genius!  One of my all-time favorite food smells was the "Porcupine Meatballs" my mom used to make, along those same lines.  She'd throw one green pepper into the pot to please my dad.  Ooh-la-la.

This soup translates the concept pleasingly.  It's easy to cook up and is universally appreciated.  I think it would be an especially great soup to serve around the holidays, with its red tomatoes and green pepper chunks - very festive.

Marla, a friend from Eagle, Wisconsin, originally passed a stuffed pepper soup recipe to me several years ago.  I've done the usual tweaking to create my own version to share with you!




Stuffed Pepper Soup
an original rendition by Kelly Jo Vanderstelt


1.  Brown together in a large soup pot, then drain off the fat:
  • 1 1/2 lbs. Lean Ground Beef
  • 2 Green Bell Peppers, chopped
  • 2 Shallots, finely diced

2.  Add the following:
  • 1 1/2 Cups of Water
  • 1 Can Tomato Soup  (I used Progresso Hearty Tomato)
  • 1 - 14.5 oz. Can of Tomato Sauce
  • 1 - 14.5 oz. Can of Diced Tomatoes (including juice)
  • 1 Tbs. Better than Bouillon Beef
  • 2 Tbs. Brown Sugar
  • 2 Tbs. Worcestershire
  • 1 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 Tsp. Pepper

3.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes.
4.  Meanwhile, cook 1 Cup Brown Rice according to package directions (or use leftover rice).

5.  When rice and soup are both finished, stir rice into the soup. Heat through.


Optional:  Garnish with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese.


About 10 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm, I want to make this! I also love the way you have all the recipes organized. Way to go Kelly.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.