31 March 2010

Wednesday Potluck: Spinach Quiche

Our very first Potluck Wednesday winner is Rebecca Hoekstra.  Quiche is always a great idea!  Thanks, Rebecca, for submitting this delicious recipe...



 This recipe for spinach quiche is original with me, although I got the ratio of milk to eggs from the Pillsbury cookbook.  The picture is mine as well and I photograph all my meals and have created my own cookbook.  This quiche is a favorite with my boys Calvin and Patrick, loved by the whole family, and we probably eat it once a week. 

I make the crust in my Kitchen Aid stand mixer and make 3-4 crusts at a time, place each one in a pie plate and freeze.  When I have enough spinach I make 2-3 quiches and freeze them unbaked.  No thawing required, just pop into the oven at 350 and bake for around an hour.  Perfect for when you don't have time to prepare a meal, and putting together multiple quiches ahead of time is just as fast as making one.


Spinach Quiche
by Rebecca Hoekstra


Single Pie Crust:

Ingredients
  • 1 Cup White Flour (I've tried it with half white and half wheat, which is what I do in all my baking, but it just isn't right in a pie crust).
  • 1 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/3 Cup Shortening
  • 3-4 Tbs. cold Water
 Directions

1.  Mix flour, salt and shortening until dough forms many small balls.  Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough comes together in large ball.   
2.  Roll out round crust on wax paper.   
3.  Place crust in 9” pie plate.

Quiche Filling:

Ingredients
  • 1 large bag Fresh Spinach
  • 1 Tbs. Olive Oil
  • 1 Tbs. Salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 Cup of Milk
  • 1 large handful of Shredded Cheddar Cheese (mozzarella may be used, but I prefer cheddar)
Directions

1.  Lightly sauté spinach in large saucepan with oil.  
2.  In medium mixing bowl combine eggs, milk, salt and cheese.  
3.  Add sautéd spinach.   
4.  Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 350 degreees for one hour or until crust is lightly browned and pie is mostly set.   
5.  Let cool 10 minutes to firm slightly, then cut and serve.   

Serves 4



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.