26 February 2010

Sweet Potato - Potato Bake


When we first moved to the northland a decade ago, we were startled to observe the widespread popularity of Friday Night Fish Fry.  We had never encountered such passion about swimming meat before!  Initially, we hesitated to join in, wondering what the fuss was all about.  Once we indulged, we were hooked.  Pun intended. 

This Lenten season of the year, Friday Fish is even more popular.  In that spirit of community, I've sauteed some lovely Tilapia that I bought from Wal-Mart.  It was probably farmed in China, to my dismay.  I wish I could tell you that I had fresh cold-water fish, wild caught, flown in from Alaska just for my family.  However, my fish money is tight and the Tilapia price was right.  I figure it's a step up from the cheapo fish sticks my mother used to make.  Fish Sticks and Tator Tots and Ketchup...I'm not sure whether that's a good memory...

So I went ahead with the Tilapia.  I cooked it up in my favorite cast iron pan with a little olive oil, a sprinkle of dill and salt, and finished it with a shake of grated parmesan.

Sweet Potato - Potato Bake was a hearty counterpart to the mild fish.  Along with a bag of frozen veggies, steamed quickly on the stovetop and topped with a sprinkle of seasoned salt, our meal was complete.  We also enjoyed the leftover, magical bread my girlfriend had brought over last night, with olive oil for dipping.





Sweet Potato - Potato Bake
an original recipe by Kelly Jo Vanderstelt


1.  Peel a few potatoes and sweet potatoes, proportionate to the size of your crowd.  Or, don't peel them.  Your choice.  The baking dish also should be size appropriate.  For 2-4 people, I like to prepare this in a 6-cup sized glass baking pan.  A glass pan makes for a fine presentation of the layers.

2.  Slice them about a quarter-inch thick.

3.  Layer the slices in a greased baking dish, brushing each layer with olive oil.  Lightly sprinkle each layer with salt and pepper.  I also like to crumble up a little dried Thyme over it.  Make it several layers high.

4. Bake covered for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.

Tip:  When you serve the potatoes, cut your spoon down into it vertically, so that the layers stay somewhat intact, like lasagna.


This recipe is a great crowd pleaser, simple enough for everyday - yet impressive enough for a dinner party.  Even those who think they dislike sweet potatoes may be converted once they try this unexpected dish. 
Tonight is Girl's Night again, since Hubby is still away.  This time, my Friend and her beautiful daughter are coming over.  After we sup, we're planning to dust off my old Anne of Green Gables video tapes and see whether the VCR still works. The Kiddos will love it, and the Mamas will, too.  Guess we'll pop up up some corn in between tapes.

1 comment:

  1. I used a mandolin to slice my potatoes, so they were thinner, but still good. I eat sweet potatoes b/c I know they are good for me, and I am developing more of a "like" for them. This was good for people new to sweet potatoes b/c the flavor was milder and delicious, I thought!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.