24 February 2010

Roasted Asparagus

Here in the northland, winter seems to hang around forever. The icy shores of Lake Superior are certainly breathtaking, but the incessant cold eventually gets old. Boots and snow pants crowd our entryways for most of the year!  We muddle through with hearty stews, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, warm pasta dishes and many a mug of hot cocoa.

In a few short weeks we'll be dealing with "mud season," when our winter wonderland will melt away into a mucky mess. Tulips and daffodils are an elusive dream; in these parts they won't peek their leaves out until late May.

Imagine my delight when I spotted the first batch of early asparagus on display at my grocery store!  Spying it there on the cart, standing proud and fresh, reminded me of my days living in lower Michigan.  The asparagus grew like crazy there, and I'd pick some up two or three times a week at the Farmer's Market. Sometimes I'd literally eat a pound or two for supper, all by myself .  (Hubby hates veggies, much to his own detriment). 

If, like me, you also find yourself craving the elegant simplicity of these delectable green stalks, roasted to perfection, try this recipe.  It is well-seasoned and full of flavor, bringing out the best in my very favorite vegetable.  I initially served the asparagus hot for supper, and then next day leftover, chilled, in a salad. 


Roasted Asparagus
an original recipe by Kelly Jo Vanderstelt


1. Whisk together in a 13"x9" pan:
  • 1 Tbs. Olive Oil
  • 1 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/2 Tbs. Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. Garlic Salt
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground Pepper

2. Toss in 1 lb. Asparagus (washed, woody ends snapped off), cut into 1-2" lengths. Stir until well-coated.

3. Bake 15 minutes at 325 degrees. Asparagus should be crisp-tender and slightly shriveled when finished. Roast a few extra minutes if needed.

Tip:  Smaller, thinner stalks mean younger, more tender asparagus. Those thick stems are older and less desirable.    (FYI - this is not a metaphor for life!)

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl! So glad you are back to blogging. Mind if I link to you on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was SO good! My mom, sister, and I loved it! Great flavor and the asparagus wasn't stringy!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and questions are appreciated. Comments will be posted after they are approved. Thank you.